Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I-5 Colonnade Mountain Bike Park


This Saturday I spent some time with Seattle Works and Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance do so some mountain bike trail maintenance. There were 10 volunteers and we worked on the I-5 Colonnade Mountain Bike Park and it was a lot of fun dirty work.

I didn't even know this place existed. I do own a mountain bike, however my mountain bike skills are at the beginner level. Nowhere near the expert/trick level required at the Colonnade. I have done a faceplant already on my mountain bike when I first started mountain biking years ago. The Park looks awesome, however it'll be some time, till I get to the other trails, for now I'll stick to the beginner trails. I still love the warning sign, and I don't have pictures of it, it says something like this: "Full Face Helmet and Body Armor highly recommended."

It was fun to watch the mountain bikers do tricks and jumps on some of the trails. This area under I-5, many years ago were filled with squatters and junkies. Now it's replaced with mountain bikers and the area truly cleaned up. Since the whole colonnade is a community resource, it's quite amazing how such space has been transformed to an urban park.



1 comment:

Joan Reeves said...

Hi, I just wondered if you're doing all right. You haven't posted to any of your blogs since last fall, and I know you had shoulder surgery. I hope you have recovered and life is good.

Best regards,
Joan Reeves